Anthony Smith Tells Doubters You’re “Doing Yourself a Disservice”
By FCF Staff
After recording a pivotal win over Alexander Gustafsson at UFC Stockholm, Anthony Smith had a message for observers who still don’t believe “Lionheart” is a legitimate contender at 205.
Smith was competing for the first time since he faced Jon Jones in March, and lost to the champion via unanimous decision. When Smith was booked for a title shot, some people, like Luke Rockhold, argued the veteran wasn’t a real force in the division.
Well, on Saturday, the former middleweight returned to the win column, by submitting Gustafsson with a fourth round, rear-naked-choke. While talking to the press after the victory, Smith had this to say about the win and his future (quotes via MMA Junkie):
“I think it’s absolutely the biggest (win) of my career, probably the one I’m most proud of, just because of what happened in my last fight,” he said. “Typically, guys that come off of title losses don’t bounce back like that.”
“…I just put my head down and I just grind. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it now: I’m going to be a world champion, or I’m going to die trying. I’m not going to stop. So all these people that keep talking about me being a fluke, or being a flash in the pan, you guys are doing yourself a disservice, because I’m coming. And I’m not going anywhere.”
The 30-year-old Smith has gone 4-1 now since he moved up to the light-heavyweight division last year.