Daniel Cormier Insists Fighting Career Won’t Extend Past March, 2019
By FCF Staff
Daniel Cormier remains one of the top, most complete fighters in all of MMA, but the UFC’s light-heavyweight champ insists his career will not extend beyond, March, 2019.
Cormier took on Volkan Oezdemir this past weekend at UFC 220, exactly two months out from his 39th birthday. The decorated wrestler stopped the rising contender in the second round.
Since then, Cormier was a guest on “The MMA Hour”, and the champion made it quite clear, that he will not be competing into his 40’s (quote via MMA Fighting):
“Come March, I will have 12 months, at max, left. I’m going to be done by March 20, 2019. I won’t be fighting again.”
“I’m done, I’m going to be done at 40,” Cormier said. “I won’t be back. There won’t be jumping around or ‘I’m done until I get the right type of fight.’ It’ll be over. I’m not going to be doing this anymore. I’ve said time and time again that I’ve lived a great life in sports, I’ve loved every moment of it…”
The 38 year-old also said that if possible, he’d like to fight Alexander Gustafsson this coming July, before fighting Jon Jones for a third time in December. The latter, however, is facing a multi-year suspension due to a second USADA flag Jones was notified of last year.