Demian Maia Posts Statement Outlining Decision to Wait For Title Shot
By FCF Staff
After Jorge Masvidal recently said that Demian Maia has turned down a fight with him, the perennial contender has posted a statement, explaining why he’s going to wait for a title shot.
Maia is riding a six fight winning streak and during that time, he’s submitted fellow contenders like Neil Magny, Matt Brown and most recently Carlos Condit. Currently Maia is ranked #3 in the UFC’s welterweight division.
Since Tyron Woodley and Stephen Thompson were booked for a rematch on March 4th, there’s been speculation as to what’s next for Maia. In the aforementioned statement, however, the Brazilian star made his case for why he should receive a title shot, and that he plans to wait for just that.
Here is some of what Maia said in the statement that he posted on Facebook:
I have been reading a lot of things online lately, a lot of speculation, and I have been approached a lot by the press with interview requests because of it, so I decided to come here and express myself directly so everybody can “hear” from me, and know what has been going on.
When Dana White said at UFC NY post fight press conference, after Wonderboy and Woodley fought to a draw for the WW title, that I would get the next shot if I want to wait or I could fight somebody else, my understanding was that I had earned my title shot and that it was going to happen sooner or later, and it was my choice if I wanted to remain active or not. I have the biggest respect for Dana, I trust him, and I had seen how Woodley could wait for longer than a year and get his title shot, that ultimately crowned him as a champion, so why would I believe it would be any different with me?
…I respect Masvidal, Lawler, and each and every MMA fighter that steps inside a cage or a ring. It`s not easy at all, and it`s way more pressure than many people can imagine. Nobody that does this for a living, and even more that get to this level, doesn`t deserve a lot of respect. I have fought many of the top fighters at MW and WW, including maybe the best ever at his prime, and I never had any problem fighting anyone at the right time. I would fight anyone at WW For a belt right now, interim or linear, and when we got the Masvidal fight offered we explained our reasons for being frustrated and wanting to wait for a Title Shot, how the proposed card could impact us financially, but said we would discuss it and come up with a decision. We haven`t even said “no” yet, when news starting to pop up that we had declined the fight. Fair enough I guess, as it`s not what we had in mind anyways…”