Donald Cerrone Says Conor McGregor’s Turned Down Multiple Fights With Him
By FCF Staff
Earlier this year, Conor McGregor tweeted out he was interested in fighting Donald Cerrone. But, the latter claims the Irish star’s passed on fighting him several times.
Cerrone has called for a bout with McGregor on several occasions, including after he stopped Alex Hernandez in January. At the time, McGregor congratulated “Cowboy” on the win, and also expressed an interest in fighting the American.
Since then, however, Cerrone has defeated Al Iaquinta and more recently, he lost via doctor stoppage to Tony Ferguson. While talking with MMA Junkie recently about his next fight, Cerrone said he’s driving for a rematch with Ferguson. When asked about a fight with McGregor, however, Cerrone said this:
“That’s been so close so many times,” Cerrone said. “The funny thing is, when Diaz fought McGregor, I just fought, and I was flying on that Sunday, and they called me and were like, ‘Hey, do you want the McGregor fight?’ So he turned me down back then, turned me down three or four other times now. It’s crazy to me.
“His last fight, we were supposed to do it, and it just deteriorated. I don’t know, he just won’t sign his end of the deal.”
McGregor hasn’t fought since last October, when he was submitted by lightweight champ Khabib Nurmagomedov at UFC 229.