Full Contact Fighter Database

Home

>

News

>

Article

Media

Saturday, Nov 30, 2019

“Jacare” Souza Could Return to Middleweight, Following Loss to Jan Blachowicz

“Jacare” Souza (photo via UFC / YouTube)

By FCF Staff

Recently Chris Weidman left the door open to a return to the middleweight division, after losing his Octagon, light-heavyweight debut, and now “Jacare” Souza has done the same.

Souza moved up to 205 to face contender Jan Blachowicz at UFC Sao Paulo earlier this month, and lost the fight via split decision. Since then, Souza spoke with MMA Fighting, and while doing so the renowned grappler said a return to 185 could happen:

“My manager and my team are talking which weight class I’ll fight next, so there’s a lot going on here right now,” Souza said. “We’ll make a decision really soon on what’s best for us. We’re looking at staying at 205 or going back to 185.”

“Everybody suffers cutting weight, that’s life, but I’m 40 years old,” said Souza. “I cut weight my entire life and maybe I was full of it, but I’m excited again, I’m happy, and I want to work. I’m still one of the top fighters of the division.”

Souza (26-8) is 2-3 now in his last five fights. The Brazilian star’s last win took place in November, 2018, when he KO’d the aforementioned Weidman.

Tags: ,

posted by FCF Staff @ 8:00 am
Have a comment about this story? Please share with us by filling out the fields below.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *