Jorge Masvidal Vows He’ll Secure Rematch With Kamaru Usman
By FCF Staff
Masvidal stepped in on short notice for the title fight, after Gilbert Burns withdrew last week, following a positive test for COVID-19.
As many observers predicted would be the case, Usman used his wrestling and clinch game extensively in the fight. After five rounds, there was no question the well-rounded fighter would have his hand raised.
While speaking to the media after the bout, Masvidal vowed he’ll battle his way back into a rematch with Usman (quotes via MMA Junkie).
“We’ll do it again,” Masvidal said. “I just can’t wait. They’ll put an opponent in front of me and I’ll take care of business and I’m going to come back better than ever. I’m not going to go – I’m not going to disappear from the sport without this belt being wrapped around my waist. One way or another. It’s not my best performance tonight but everyone gets to see the dog in me and that dog doesn’t shut up or roll over for nobody.”
‘Gamebred’ credited Usman for his performance, but the 35-year-old believes the fight would have unfolded differently, if he had full camp.
“I hate coming up short,” Masvidal said. “I ain’t going to make no excuses. He was the better man tonight. There was some areas where I didn’t give him enough credit and there was some areas I felt with a better training camp I could definitely surpass him. I think I showed a lot of my wrestling on six days’ notice that I’m not too easy to take down or hold down on the ground.
“I made a lot of mistakes. I tried to fight in spots where I didn’t think my gas tank was the greatest. Right when I would get loose he would clinch me up and take it right back into his world. So, I’m not going to take anything away from him. He won fair and square. I will do whatever it takes to get back in front of that man and compete again and get my hand raised.”
With the loss on Saturday, Masvidal’s record now stands at 35-14. Usman improved his to 17-1.