Alistair Overeem Relays Why he Passed on Fighting Junior dos Santos: “Not Running From Anyone”
By FCF Staff
Alistair Overeem has reportedly passed on two opportunities to fight Junior dos Santos in the coming months, but the heavyweight says it’s not because he’s avoiding the former champ.
In the latest episode of “UFC Tonight”, it was reported that Overeem was offered a five round fight with dos Santos in Brazil, and also a three round bout with the JDS in Vegas. According to the report, Dana White told the show’s Ariel Helwani that Overeem is “hiding” from dos Santos.
In response to the report, and subsequent response, Overeem posted the following comment on Twitter:
Twitter going bananas! Not running for anyone, on holiday right now & also rehabbing injuries so not ready to discuss a fight at this time.
— Alistair Overeem (@Alistairovereem) February 13, 2014
Overeem (37-13) is coming off a one sided, decision win over Frank Mir at UFC 169 earlier this month.
Dos Santos (16-3) hasn’t fought since October when he was stopped by champion Cain Velasquez.