Full Contact Fighter Database







Thursday, May 30, 2013

Caros Fodor Excited About ONE FC Deal, Says Promotions Rules Are “Perfect For Me”

Fodor (left) attempting a standing guillotine choke against Thomas Diagne at Strikeforce Challengers on July 23, 2010.

By Kelsey Mowatt

Strikeforce and UFC veteran Caros Fodor didn’t have to wait very long to secure a multi-fight deal with another of the sport’s top promotions, as recently the lightweight announce he’s signed with ONE FC. Although the rising promotion may not be a familiar name to casual fans here in North America, Fodor is excited about the new possibilities and opportunities his deal with ONE FC will bring.

“I found out a couple of weeks after UFC 157, when the UFC decided to release me,” Fodor said on the most recent episode of Full Contact Fighter Radio, while discussing the signing that materialized, after he lost by split decision to Sam Stout on February 23rd. “I was devastated. My manager and myself, we looked around and I signed with ONE FC, which was my first choice.I get to travel; I love their rules over there.”

Of course, for veteran MMA fans who followed PRIDE, ONE FC’s use of a similar rule set is what sets the promotion apart from mainstream organizations like the UFC. In fact, for fans who have only watched cards utilizing the unified rules, a ONE FC bout can include pretty alarming and yet memorable techniques.

“They get to knee to the head on the ground, soccer kicks to the head on the  ground, elbows now, and you get to fight in the cage,” Fodor noted. “It’s just perfect for me. I’m loving it. I’m super excited.”

Fodor has an insider’s perspective to ONE FC as well, since his head coach at AMC Pankration, is Matt Hume. The legendary trainer is also the VP of Operations and Competition for ONE FC.

“We spoke about it and he mentioned that there is Bellator and the World Series of Fighting and to talk to them, but the rules are such a big draw for me over there; I think I can take advantage of. Plus, you get to travel, and seeing the world, I don’t think I’d be able to do that with the other organizations.”

Caros Fodor. Photo credit: Esther Lin/Strikeforce

“ONE FC travels to every country in Asia pretty much so I’m really looking forward to it.”

Fodor rose through the Strikeforce rankings during 2010 and 2011 by scoring five straight wins with the promotion, before he was tapped out by Pat Healy in March, 2012. While it’s because of this success he’s signed a deal with ONE FC, he also understands that his upcoming bouts might fly under the radar with mainstream fans in Canada and the U.S.

“It really sucks that I might lose some fans over here because I don’t know if they’ll be able to see my fights,” noted Fodor, as ONE FC live stream broadcasts typically take place early in the morning here in North America. “It’s just one of those things.”

When news surfaced that Fodor had been cut by the UFC, some fans and pundits were likely surprised, considering that his bout with the rugged Stout was extremely competitive.

“Definitely; I thought they would give me at least one more because the fight was so close,” Fodor said, when asked if he was surprised by his UFC release. “It was a split decision and I think it could have gone either way. I thought it was a good enough show and he’s a really tough guy. I wasn’t too happy with my performance though. There was a lot of time where my back was against the cage and I was kind of hanging out.”

“I knew they were going to clean house but I was definitely shocked.”

Fodor’s ONE FC debut, and who he will fight, has not been determined yet.



posted by FCF Staff @ 8:00 am
Have a comment about this story? Please share with us by filling out the fields below.

Comments are closed.