Full Contact Fighter Database







Saturday, May 04, 2013

Cheick Kongo Says New Deal With UFC Possible: “On Very Good Terms” With Promotion


By FCF Staff

Although earlier in the week it was widely reported that Cheick Kongo’s seven year run with the UFC has likely concluded, the French heavyweight has issued a statement on Facebook, which leaves the door open to a new deal with the promotion.

Kongo confirmed that his contract has concluded, following his KO loss to Roy Nelson at UFC 159 last weekend, and that he has “not been cut by the UFC”. While there were reports citing a source close to the UFC, who said the promotion was unlikely to re-sign the 37 year-old vet at this time, Kongo noted that he’s “on very good terms” with the organization. The heavyweight added that this doesn’t mean he’s “leaving the UFC” or “staying,” but that he remains a UFC fighter for the time being.

It will be interesting to see whether Kongo does indeed return to the Octagon for his next bout, as the veteran has been  competing for the organization since 2006. During that time Kongo has scored notable wins over Pat Barry, Mirko “Cro Cop”and Matt Mitrione.  Kongo headed into UFC 159 having gone 3-1-1 in his past five bouts.




posted by FCF Staff @ 1:05 pm
Have a comment about this story? Please share with us by filling out the fields below.

Comments are closed.