Claude Patrick Playing “International Man of Mystery” on Injury, Believes With A Few Changes He “Would Clearly Win” Rematch With Brian Ebersole
By Kelsey Mowatt
Recently it was revealed that Claude Patrick will have to wait even longer to kick off his 2012 campaign, as the welterweight has been forced to withdraw from his UFC 149 bout with James Head due to injury. Although Patrick hasn’t fought since last December, and likely won’t compete for several more months, the Canadian welterweight is trying to make the best of an unfortunate situation.
“I got hurt last week in training and while it’s far from good news, I have been making some super gains in the last few months, so I’m very much looking forward to getting back in the cage,” the 32 year-old-fighter recently told Full Contact Fighter. “Seven months is a bit longer than I’d have like to have waited, but things happen how they do, so I’ll be back fairly soon I hope. With the UFC’s busy schedule now I think I shouldn’t have much trouble competing.”
Of course, knowing what kind of injury forced Patrick to withdraw from the July 21st bout would help in trying to determine when the welterweight can fight again. The experienced vet, however, is keeping that information close to his chest.
“I could tell you what’s up but there’s no real upside to that at this point,” said Patrick, who is one of the head instructors at the Elite Training Center in Mississauga, Ontario. “So I’m going to play international man of mystery and keep quiet for the time being.”
When Patrick returns, the IFL veteran will be looking to rebound from a split decision loss he suffered versus Brian Ebersole at UFC 140 last December. The defeat was Patrick’s first since 2005, and ended the welterweight’s 13 fight winning streak. The loss was also Patrick’s first under the UFC banner, as “The Prince” had scored victories over Ricardo Funch, James Wilks and Daniel Roberts before facing Ebersole.
In a somewhat interesting twist, the man who was named to replace Patrick versus Head, was none other than Ebersole.
“Brian Ebersole’s a funny guy who seems unable to stop eating off my plate? First he comes to my home town and pulls off a win by surviving my attacks? Then he get’s the fight I was supposed to have?” Patrick joked.
“Nah, in all seriousness, he is a solid guy and a quality fighter,” Patrick added about Ebersole, who will fight Head just one month after he scored a unanimous decision win over T.J. Waldburger, at the UFC on FC 4 card on June 22. “Probably a bit too much of an enigma for most guys to tackle on very short notice.”
And while Patrick is quick to credit Ebersole for his abilities and personality, the Ontario fighter is still interested in getting another shot at the man who handed him a split decision loss.
“In terms of a rematch, I’d love to face him again, as I felt I won the first fight,” said Patrick.” “With just a few strategic changes I would clearly win the next one, but its not something that keeps me up at night. Just gotta keep pluggin away. I’m excited to show what I’ve got in the next fight and I had a real show planned for the fight versus Head at UFC 149.”