Combat in the Cage: Beginnings
Report and photos by Jim Genia
|DeBlass on top of Dunn
(May 6th, Voorhees, New Jersey) The amateurs were at it again, and though the cage was set up in the gymnasium of the Eastern Regional High School, promoter Ed Hsu’s Combat in the Cage was no less entertaining than his debut event in Atlantic City. Featuring 18 budding fighters from as far away as New York and Pennsylvania, the show was a mixture of smooth takedowns and fast punches, with a heavy dose of technical submissions thrown in. Highlights of the night included:
- Jersey Shore BJJ’s Tinn Tupy’s controlling ground game, which had him in the driver’s seat throughout his bout.
- The dominant striking of Joe Diamond’s MMA’s Rich Collazo Jr., as he picked apart Nick Taylor to earn the decision.
- Ricardo Almeida-student Tom DeBlass’ successful return to action, where he submitted Richard Dunn with a slick toehold.
|Dietzal works a footlock on Eiben
- Tinn Tupy (Jersey Shore BJJ-138lbs) vs. David Poniatowski (Hamilton Martial Arts-137lbs)
Tupy via unanimous decision.
- Kevin Lenau (Okinawan Kenpo Karate Academy-159lbs) vs. Phil Ferraro (Eclectic Martial Arts-156lbs)
Ferraro via keylock at 1:01 of R2.
- Rich Collazo Jr. (Joe Diamond’s MMA-157lbs) vs. Nick Taylor (Eclectic Martial Arts-162lbs)
Collazo via unanimous decision.
- Chris Dietzal (Yamasaki-157lbs) vs. Nick Eiben (Pittsburgh Submission Fighters Club-157lbs)
Dietzal via armbar at 1:21 of R2.
- David Trapanese (Jersey Shore BJJ-173lbs) vs. Mike Buzzone (Red Dragon Dojo-168lbs)
Trapanese via unanimous decision.
- Ryan Wadsworth (Joe Diamond’s MMA-210lbs) vs. Derek Hopkins (Berks County BJJ-205lbs)
Hopkins via armbar at 2:32 of R1.
- Alexis Aquino (TNT Martial Arts-194lbs) vs. Heath Macaluso (Aikido of New York-190lbs)
Aquino via guillotine at 1:15 of R1.
- Tom DeBlass (Team Renzo/Almeida-195lbs) vs. Rich Dunn (Aikido of New York-192lbs)
DeBlass via toehold at 1:17 of R1.
- Greg Soto (Jersey Shore BJJ-172lbs) vs. Carl D’Alessandro (Joe Diamond’s MMA-184lbs)
Soto via armbar at 2:21 of R1.