Bitetti Combat 2 news, Nilson back in MECA, Sperry Back to Abu Dhabi and SHOOTO Coming to Brazil
The Brazilian Beat:
The beginning of March signals that annual period of partying and no worries in Brazil — Carnival! However for most NHB fighters, like Anderson Silva, there’s no such break and training sessions continue strong in training camps all over the country. March promises intense battles indeed, with the second edition of Bitetti Combat Nordeste including some “last minute” surprises on the card. Other events such as MECA World Vale Tudo 8 and STORM Grand Prix are also in the works and news about those events are popping up all the time! March will also see the first-ever official SHOOTO competition in Brazil and a Brazilian Top Team member headlining an NHB event in Argentina, so let’s not waste any more time ’cause it’s carnival time! All that news, plus much more, are in this edition of the Brazilian Beat, since Full Contact Fighter sets the rhythm Carnival style as the beat never stops in Brazil during this time of the year!
- The second edition of Bitetti Combat is quickly approaching and some changes are being made on the card, due to some unfortunate incidents. NHB veteran Mario Sucata will no longer be competing on the card because he traveled to Holland, to train with the Golden Glory team and prepare himself for an NHB event in Russia. However, promoters Conrado and Amaury Bitetti managed to work around the problems and MECA 7 winner Evangelista Cyborg, who scored the quickest KO ever in MECA history, is now going to face MECA and Bitetti Combat veteran Lucas Lopes on Bitetti Combat 2 on March 20th. Besides this fight, the NHB debut of Fernando Terere facing tough fighter Tibau, and the return of Johil de Oliveira squaring off against WVC and Bitetti Combat veteran Silmar Rodrigo are still confirmed for the card.
- Brazilian Top Team member Roan "Jucao" Carneiro will be making his first international main event in NHB this March 15th in Argentina. Carneiro will be on the main event against an Argentinian Muay Thai and Tae Kwon Do champion. The event will feture both NHB and Muay Thai fights, and goes to show that NHB is slowly conquering all corners of the globe. Jucao, who won a fight at MECA 7, is also scheduled to face Chute Boxe prodigy Mauricio "Shogun" Rua at MECA 8, likely to be held in May of 2003.
- The first ever STORM Muay Thai Grand Prix is coming up and promoter Rafael Cordeiro is taking care of the final details for the event that will feature two tournaments, one for fighters up to 85 kg and another one for fighters above 85 kg, as well as some single bouts. One fighter that is likely to appear on the above 85 kg is K-1 Brazil runner up and future K-1 USA participant Eduardo Maiorino. Maiorino is a Artur Mariano student who displayed a solid performance at K-1 Brazil, and will likely ending up meeting against K-1 veteran and Chute Boxe fighter Jamanta during the STORM Grand Prix, in what promises to be a great fight. Despite that the main attraction at the always gorgeous Opera de Arame this April in Curitiba will be PRIDE veteran Anderson Silva competing on the up to 85 kg tourney, as well as a single bout featuring future K-1 fighter and Chute Boxe stand out Marlon Matias.
- Speaking of Anderson Silva, the MECA and PRIDE veteran is preparing hard for his upcoming PRIDE 25 fight against Carlos Newton. Despite the fact that Brazil is under its traditional Carnival time, where all the country becomes a huge party once a year, Anderson continued his training routine and took no break in order to be ready for his third PRIDE fight. After his bout with Newton, Anderson will focus once again in his Muay Thai training to capture the STORM Grand Prix title, since he still loves Muay Thai more than anything else.
- The state of Rio de Janeiro will hold the first ever SHOOTO event to be hold in Brazil. At March 15th the city of Niteroi, right next to the city of Rio de Janeiro, will hold an Amateur SHOOTO event with six weight divisions tournaments, counting with four fighters per division. Besides those tournaments the event will aso feature some SHOOTO Grappling single bouts, like Submission Grappling matches, with the highlight being Alexandre Pequeno Nogueira facing Rodrigo Pagani from Gracie Humaita. The event will serve to select Brazilian Fighters to compete in Japanese SHOOTO events.
- Chute Boxe fighter Nilson de Castro is no longer going to fight in 2Hot2Handle this March in Holland. Apparently the promoters decided to use a local fighters’ only card, therefore the IVC and MECA veteran will not participate in it. Nilson, who also won a K-1 fight in Japan, is continuing to train hard and now will be appearing at MECA 8, likely against Brazilian Top Team member Jorge Navalhada in yet another great match up for a solid MECA 8 card that already counts with Roan Carneiro vs. Mauricio Shogun Rua, Eugenio Tadeu vs. Marcelo Giudici, Haroldo Cabelinho Bunn vs. Katel Kubis, and the participations of Jorge Macaco Patino among other surprises. FCF will continue to keep you posted on the developments.
- Despite several talks whether UFC champion Murilo Bustamante will or won’t return to the UFC to defend his belt, nothing is certain at this point. Bustamante’s management is still considering all the options and Murilo’s desire remains to get back to the Octagon as soon as possible, therefore a rematch against Matt Lindland is still possible for the future, and FCF will continue to check the status of negotiations.
- Speaking of the UFC, curiosity runs high about Ruas Vale Tudo fighter Pedro Rizzo’s contract status after his decision loss to rAw team member Vladimir Matyushenko. Rizzo is reported to still have two fights left in his UFC contract and now we will all have to wait and see what his, and UFC’s next steps are going to be. Pedro will be back to Brazil shortly and FCF will talk to him to see what’s on his mind.
- Brazilian Top Team member, PRIDE veteran and former Abu Dhabi champion Mario Sperry told Full Contact Fighter he is going to be back at the Abu Dhabi Submission Wrestling World Championship this year! With the Abu Dhabi tournament being held in Brazil for the first time ever, this coming May, "The Zen Machine" confirmed to us his participation entering the brackets of his weigh division, showing once again that Sperry doesn’t fear top competition! Besides the Abu Dhabi tournament, Sperry is continuing to train hard for NHB looking for a PRIDE fight as soon as possible.