Friday, Jan 14, 2011
Fickett to Challenge McKee for MFC LW Belt
By FCF Staff
Just days removed from announcing that Drew Fickett has signed a multi-fight agreement with the Maximum Fighting Championship, the promotion has confirmed that the UFC vet will take on lightweight champion Antonio McKee, February 25th. MFC 28 “Supremacy” will be hosted by Enoch, Alberta’s River Cree Resort and Casino, and will be broadcast live on HDNet.
“No one – and I mean absolutely no one – gets an easy ride in the Maximum Fighting Championship,” said MFC Owner/President Mark Pavelich in the announcement.
“McKee wants to claim he’s still the man in the lightweight division … then go prove it against one of the hottest fighters on the planet. And Fickett says he’s coming to the MFC to choke out everyone. Great … now go do it against the champion who has lost only once by submission in 12 years.”
McKee (25-4-2) returns to the MFC after a one fight stint in the UFC, where he lost by split decision to Jacob Volkmann on January 1st at UFC 125. The loss was McKee’s first since 2003 and ended the 40 year-old-fighter’s 15 fight undefeated streak.
McKee’s last MFC title defense took place in September, when he punished Luciano Azevedo with elbows from the top position for the first round, stoppage.
Fickett (40-13) will be looking to continue his recent resurgence, as the 31 year-old-vet has won four straight after going 0-5 in 2009. The recent run includes winning Shine’s Lightweight Grand-Prix last year, which saw Fickett earn victories over Charles Bennett, Dennis Bermudez, and Carlo Prater at the September 10th event.
MFC 28 will also feature a light-heavyweight bout between Ryan Jimmo and Dwayne Lewis to determine the promotion’s champion.
posted by Full Contact Fighter @ 2:25 pm