Full Contact Fighter Database







Thursday, Jan 27, 2011

Georgi Karakhanyan Returning for Bellator Season 4

By FCF Staff
Bellator Fighting Championships has confirmed today that Georgi “Insane” Karakhanyan will once again take a run at winning the promotion’s featherweight tournament, and as has signed on to compete in the promotion’s upcoming fourth season. Karakhanyan (14-2-1) advanced to the semi-finals of Bellator’s featherweight tourney last year, by knocking out Bao Quach with a highlight reel flying knee, but lost by unanimous decision to current champ Joe Warren at Bellator 18.
“Georgi’s a dangerous fighter,” said Bellator Chairman and CEO Bjorn Rebney in the official announcement. “His knockout of Quach was devastating and he put up a great fight against the World’s #2 Featherweight Joe Warren. Georgi will definitely be in the hunt for this tournament championship.”
Karakhanyan last competed at Bellator 28 in September and worked his way to a UD win over Anthony Leone. The 25 year-old-fighter is 9-1 in his last ten fights and his only other professional loss took place in February, 2008, when he dropped a split decision to Chris David at Gladiator Challenge 74.
“I need to take this tournament one fight at a time. I’m trying not to focus on Joe Warren right now. Whoever they put in front of me, that’s who I’m going to focus in on,” said Karakhanyan, who is a former professional soccer player. “I never underestimate anyone. There are going to be some really dangerous fighters in this tournament so I’m just going to take things one fight at a time, focus on that person, and then go from there.”
Other featherweights named to the tournament so far include Eric Larkin, Kenny Foster and Zac George. Bellator’s Season 4 competition will begin in March and will be broadcast live on MTV 2.

posted by Full Contact Fighter @ 2:00 pm
Have a comment about this story? Please share with us by filling out the fields below.

Comments are closed.