Full Contact Fighter Database







Tuesday, Jul 05, 2011

No UFC Deal Currently in Works for Jordan Mein, Despite Prospect’s Recent Run

By Kelsey Mowatt

The consensus amongst many MMA observers in Canada and abroad was that highly touted welterweight prospect Jordan “Young Gun” Mein would soon be UFC bound, provided he defeated Dream champion Marius Zaromskis on June 10th. A victory would not only improve the Lethbridge fighter’s overall record to 22-7, it would extend a winning streak to four that included wins over UFC vets like Josh Burkman and Joe Riggs.

Now, approximately one month removed from Mein’s unanimous decision win over Zaromskis at the Score Fighting Series event, however, it appears as though the 21 year-old isn’t going to be making his Octagon debut anytime soon.

“No, they haven’t said anything about signing him,” Lee Mein, Jordan’s father and trainer told FCF today. “We sent them an update on how he’s doing and their response was ‘good job,’ ‘keep winning.’ What can you do right? They know who he is, but currently they’re not looking to sign him for whatever their reasons. I know before they had a full roster but they’ve also signed new guys.”

While Mein incurred several losses earlier in his pro career, since the beginning of 2009 the welterweight has gone 11-2, with his only two defeats coming to UFC vet Jason High and former Bellator competitor Mike Ricci.

“When I’ve talked to the UFC before they said they’d rather we fought names,” Mein said. “So we started looking for what good names were out there and available. We just have had wins over three high level guys, but I don’t control that end of it. All we can do is make sure we win.”

“If he was older and approaching the end of his career I’d probably be really pushing it, but he’s only 21 years old,” Mein added. “If it takes another year it takes another year;  it’s frustrating but we just really want the opportunity.”

While there are other major promotions that have inquired about Mein’s availability, it appears as though the Canadian Martial Arts Centre fighter isn’t going to explore those options at this juncture.

“We’ve had some interest from Bellator but Jordan wants to be the UFC champ,” Mein said. “You can’t become the UFC champion fighting for another organization, so, as long as he fights for other shows like Rumble in the Cage or Score Media then we can sign with the UFC whenever they want him. We won’t be locked into any contracts.”

Up next, Mein confirmed to FCF that Jordan will once again compete for Rumble in the Cage, September 23rd, a promotion that is operated by his father. No opponent has been signed yet, but Mein admits that the bout may not feature a MMA household name like Riggs or Zaromskis.

“I don’t worry about that stuff,” said Mein. “I think some of the more dangerous guys anyways are the ones you don’t know anything about or they’re just looking to knock Jordan off…Bottom line is when it comes to promoting you just have to take the guy that steps up and signs the contract, because  sometimes it’s so hard to find guys. The most important thing is not to lose, whether it’s against an A level guy or an up-and-comer.”


posted by FCF Staff @ 3:42 pm
Have a comment about this story? Please share with us by filling out the fields below.

Comments are closed.