Full Contact Fighter Database







Monday, Nov 11, 2013

Opinion: UFC Wants Nick Diaz Back in the Octagon

Nick Diaz

By Michael Hatamoto

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu black belt Nick Diaz has been offered a fight in the UFC, as fighters continue to express interest in fighting the Cesar Gracie black belt.

Diaz, a former Strikeforce welterweight champion and former UFC contender, retired following a decision loss to Carlos Condit.

Diaz joined the UFC as reigning Strikeforce champion and beat B.J. Penn by decision, then lost to Condit in an interim welterweight title fight, and later lost to GSP in a regular title fight.

Without publicly naming an opponent – or weight class – UFC President Dana White said the Diaz camp recently rejected a fight: “I made the offer to them last week. They called me back and said he’s retired.”

Even if Diaz won’t compete for a championship in 2014, there are a number of different options for him in the welterweight and middleweight divisions.

Injured fighter Michael Bisping expressed interested in welcoming Diaz to the UFC middleweight division. It might not help him get another title fight, but is a high-profile opponent that is itching for an opponent to fight.

Diaz reportedly wants a significant pay raise in both fight purse and pay-per-view percentages, as he wants $3-$5 per PPV purchase. Realistically, the UFC only dishes out those type of numbers for fighters that are both driving PPV buy rates and are at the top of their respective division.

No one can help if Diaz wants to stay retired and help his teammates train, workout with BJJ, compete in triathlons, and sit around in retirement – if he wants to step into the cage, he’ll have to understand that an immediate title rematch simply won’t happen.



posted by FCF Staff @ 1:00 pm
Have a comment about this story? Please share with us by filling out the fields below.

Comments are closed.