Full Contact Fighter Database







Thursday, Jun 30, 2011

Patrick Cote Negotiating with Several Promotions, Doesn’t Expect UFC Return Yet

By Kelsey Mowatt

Although Patrick Cote has scored back-to-back wins, following his release from the UFC last year, the former middleweight contender and free agent fighter isn’t expecting to make his Octagon return in the near future. Cote recently ended a two fight contract with Quebec promotion Ringside MMA, where he earned decision wins over fellow UFC vet Kalib Starnes and more recently, Todd Brown.

“I won my last two fights but I won by decision so I don’t think it’s going to be enough,” Cote told FCF today when asked for an update on his free agent status. “If it’s enough that’s good, but I don’t think it’s going to be enough. I understand that. I did what I had to do though; I won my last two fights and will see what’s going to happen.”

Cote (15-7) wouldn’t confirm which organizations he and his manager are currently negotiating with, but it appears as though there is significant interest in signing the 31 year-old-fighter.

“I can’t talk about it right now because we are in negotiations with several major organizations, but I’m very happy and we’ll see,” Cote said. “Right now I’m very busy doing a lot of TV shows here in Montreal, in French, and I want my next fight to be in September so that I have time to do a good training camp.”

Cote’s last run in the UFC ended after he lost by unanimous decision to Tom Lawlor at UFC 121 in October. The defeat followed Cote’s submission loss to Alan Belcher last May, which was the first time the Quebec fighter had fought since he challenged champion Anderson Silva in October, 2008.

The former TUF competitor was forced to retire in the Silva fight due to a knee injury, and subsequent problems with his knees kept Cote sidelined throughout 2009.




posted by FCF Staff @ 3:35 pm
Have a comment about this story? Please share with us by filling out the fields below.

Comments are closed.