Full Contact Fighter Database







Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013

Quote of the Day: Chris Weidman Says Anderson Silva Avoiding Him “At All Costs”

Weidman (photo via UFC.com)

By FCF Staff

With Vitor Belfort having set Michael Bisping’s title shot aspirations back, courtesy a stunning head kick earlier this month, Chris Weidman is campaigning once again for a bout with UFC middleweight champ Anderson Silva.

After Weidman blasted through Mark Munoz last summer, the decorated wrestler and grappler began calling for a title shot and was backed by UFC President Dana White. Silva and his camp, however, relayed that the fight didn’t interest them at this juncture, citing Weidman’s lack of experience and pay-per-view draw.

With the recent news that Silva is reportedly hoping to fight this spring, and Weidman (9-0) likely still sidelined until July with a shoulder injury, it appears as though the rising challenger won’t be the man to challenge Silva next. As a result, Weidman told MMA Junkie:

“It seems like he’s avoiding it at all costs at this point. I’m a big, strong, young, athletic wrestler with good submissions. I think it’s a bad matchup for him, I think he knows that, and he’s making millions of dollars outside the cage being the undefeated UFC champion – untouchable.”

Although nothing official has been announced for Silva yet, White relayed this past weekend that the promotion was working on the champ’s next bout and could have something announced soon.

In recent days, there have been rumors that the UFC may be looking at matching Cung Le up against Silva, after the champion’s manager Ed Soares mentioned the renowned striker as a possible opponent.

Soares also relayed to Cage Fanatic that Strikeforce champion Luke Rockhold could also be a possibility.




posted by FCF Staff @ 12:33 pm
Have a comment about this story? Please share with us by filling out the fields below.

Comments are closed.