Rafael dos Anjos Tells Tyron Woodley “We’re Going to Fight”, Promises to “Push The Pace” Against Champ
By FCF Staff
After Rafael dos Anjos defeated fellow, welterweight contender Neil Magny at UFC 215 on Saturday, he had a message for the division’s champ, Tyron Woodley.
Dos Anjos submitted Magny in the opening round at the event, which was the former lightweight champ’s second victory, since he returned to the welterweight division earlier this year. Following the event, dos Anjos had this to say about his future, and fighting Woodley (quote via MMA Junkie):
“I’m the former lightweight champion looking forward to being a two-division champion,” dos Anjos said. “I know Woodley has an injury, but I need some time off now. I fought three months ago in Singapore. I just fought now. I was preparing for Woodley, but (Demian) Maia took the fight. I don’t want to lose what I was training already, so I called (UFC matchmaker Sean) Shelby and said, ‘Hey, I want to fight, if you have somebody.’ Then the opportunity with Neil Magny came up.”
“One thing I can be sure, is we’re going to fight,” dos Anjos said. “I’m not going to let him walk around, and I’m going to make sure I push the pace. I’m not saying I will not use my strategy. Of course I will. But I will walk forward. I have confidence in me, in my cardio, and I’m going to make him work.”
With the victory, the 32 year-old dos Anjos improved his record to 27-9. Woodley, meanwhile, is recovering from a shoulder injury he incurred during his decision win over Maia in July. It’s not clear yet, however, when he’ll be ready to compete again.