Full Contact Fighter Database







Monday, Nov 12, 2012

Report: Anderson Silva Says Next Fight Likely Not Until End of 2013, Dismisses Idea of Challenging GSP at UFC 154

Reigning UFC Middleweight Champion Anderson Silva (photo via UFC.com)

By FCF Staff

Although the UFC and its President Dana White have been turning up the promotional dial on a superfight  between its middleweight champion Anderson Silva and welterweight champ, Georges St. Pierre, according to the former, it may be awhile before it happens.

In a recent interview with the Brazilian publication, Tatame.com, Silva relayed that he plans on taking most of 2013 off to attend to “personal projects” and business opportunities.

In a recent teleconference to promote this coming Saturday’s bout between GSP and interim champion Carlos Condit, White confirmed that Silva would be in attendance. During the call, White hinted that Silva may call out St. Pierre in the Octagon afterwards, provided the returning champ wins. In the recent interview with Silva, however, the decorated fighter said it wasn’t in his “character” to do such a thing.

Silva and his camp have expressed an interest in fighting St. Pierre previously, as the bout could end up being one of the sport’s biggest draws of all time. During the aforementioned call, White said that a bout between Silva and GSP would be held in a stadium sized venue, in possibly Toronto, Dallas or a city in Brazil.

The 37 year-old Silva is coming off a first round stoppage of Stephan Bonnar at UFC 153 last month to extend his record to 33-4. The champion has two fights left on his current contract, and his management have consistently stated in recent months that they are only interested in securing high profile bouts.


posted by FCF Staff @ 3:13 pm
Have a comment about this story? Please share with us by filling out the fields below.

Comments are closed.