Report: Dana White Says Georges St. Pierre Has Asked to Fight Nick Diaz, Bout Likely
By FCF Staff
As some suspected would be the case, according to Dana White, Georges St. Pierre has informed the UFC that he is hoping to fight Nick Diaz next. The promotion’s president reportedly relayed the news today following a press conference in Seattle to promote this Saturday’s UFC on FOX 5 card.
White furthered that although he has not approached Diaz about the fight, he feels obligated to put it together, due to St. Pierre’s longstanding and significant relationship with the UFC.
As a result, if Diaz accepts, St. Pierre will face the former Strikeforce champ next, rather than UFC Middleweight Champion Anderson Silva or number one contender Johny Hendricks.
Diaz is currently under suspension with the Nevada State Athletic Commission until February, due to testing positive for marijuana following his unanimous decision loss to Carlos Condit at UFC 143.
White previously stated that Diaz would not receive an immediate title shot following his return, however, due to St. Pierre’s request–and certainly the bout’s box office appeal–the match-up is in the works.
When FCF spoke with Diaz’s manager Cesar Gracie recently, the trainer stated that “we would be absolutely happy” to fight St. Pierre next if indeed, the champion pushed for a fight with the Stockton native.
St. Pierre and Diaz were scheduled to fight at UFC 137 last October, however, Diaz was pulled from the fight after failing to attend two press conferences. GSP was forced to the sidelines eventually with a knee injury, and did not return until last month, when he defeated Condit by UD.
Heading into November’s UFC 154 card, White said a bout between the aforementioned Silva and St. Pierre could follow a successful title defense from the champion. GSP stated after his win, however, that a fight with Silva would require him to bulk up and leave the welterweight division, and that there were other opportunities in his current division.