Full Contact Fighter Database







Saturday, Apr 26, 2014

Report: Vitor Belfort Believes he Should Face Chris Weidman Next

Vitor Belfort

By FCF Staff

Following the Nevada State Athletic Commission’s ban of TRT, and Vitor Belfort’s subsequent withdrawal from UFC 173, the latter says he’s ready for his title shot. Not only that, but the punishing middleweight believes he should face Chris Weidman next, instead of Lyoto Machida.

Belfort was tapped to fight champion Chris Weidman on May 24th, but after the NSAC’s TRT ban, the fighter announced he wouldn’t be ready to compete . Belfort, who had been utilizing TRT treatments, was replaced by Machida. A knee injury to Weidman, however, pushed the fight to July 5th.

Well, in a recent report from MMA Fighting.com, Belfort relayed the following about his status:

“I did all the tests that Nevada requires,” Belfort said. “I did it on my own, and I passed them all. There is nothing in my system anymore. God has blessed me. I’m ready now, and I’m waiting.”

“Since they canceled (Weidman vs. Machida) in May, there is nothing else to do. Give me what is mine.”

Belfort secured a title shot thanks to his 2013 run, which saw him stop Dan Henderson, Michael Bisping and Luke Rockhold.


posted by FCF Staff @ 11:13 am
Have a comment about this story? Please share with us by filling out the fields below.

Comments are closed.