Ring of Combat 9: KO Chaos
By Jim Genia
(October 29th, Asbury Park, New Jersey) It was a night of sudden knockouts, and surprises at Ring of Combat 9. Over a thousand spectators got to witness more than a few exciting debuts, got to see a storm of leather thrown, and got to cheer on what can only be described as a huge upset in the main event. Highlights of the night included:
- Rhino Fight Team’s scrappy Joe Andujar and his punishing and relentless striking against the game Anthony Spataro.
- Team Tiger Schulmann’s Uriah Hall’s fierce (but brief) kickboxing clinic as he sent Mike Iannone to the canvas.
- Farang Mu Sul’s Marlon Sims as he nailed the short left hook, knocking out jiu-jitsu brown belt Danny Suarez and earning the Ring of Combat belt.
|Good punching / Fearon going for single
|Andujar kneeing Spataro
- Frank Edgar (Team Rhino-153lbs) vs. Mark Getto (Advanced Fighting-150lbs)
Edgar via ref stoppage due to unanswered strikes at 4:21 of R1.
- Joe Andujar (Team Rhino-155lbs) vs. Anthony Spataro (Farang Mu Sul-155lbs)
Andujar via ref stoppage due to unanswered strikes at 3:06 of R1.
- John Swangler (freestyle-197lbs) vs. Ken Gibson (Farang Mu Sul-192lbs)
No Contest at 0:23 due to a cut opened up by an illegal knee from Gibson – this one was bloody as hell.
- Mike McQuade (freestyle-182lbs) vs. Phillipe Nover (Team Renzo/UDS-176lbs)
Nover via KO at 0:16 of R1.
- Jay Coleman (Team Rhino-183lbs) vs. David Porter (East End Martial Arts-183lbs)
Coleman via ref stoppage due to unanswered strikes at 0:39 of R1.
- Adam Fearon (Team Rhino-178lbs) vs. Lyman Good (Team Tiger Schulmann-176lbs)
Good via unanimous decision after two rounds – a strong debut for the TSK fighter.
- Kevin Roddy (Team Renzo-150lbs) vs. Joseph Spataro (Farang Mu Sul-150lbs)
Roddy via triangle choke/armbar at 2:21 of R2.
- Tim Deiturriaga (Advance Fighting-203lbs) vs. Garrett Carmondy (Pitts Penn-193lbs)
Carmondy via KO at 0:17 of the first round.
- Scott Molloy (Team Rhino-170lbs) vs. Steve Macabe (Fight Factory-172lbs)
Macabe via rear choke at 4:03 of Round 2 – this one was all about Macabe’s vicious ground-and-pound.
- James "Binky" Jones (Team Ground Control-166lbs) vs. Erik Uresk (Brighton Beach Wrestling Club-166lbs)
Jones via Kimura at 3:59 of R1.
- Mike Iannone (Farang Mu Sul-205lbs) vs. Uriah Hall (Team Tiger Schulmann-204lbs)
Hall via KO at 0:44 of R1 – Hall was just too much.
- Ring of Combat 174-pound Championship
Danny Suarez (Team Rhino-172lbs) vs. Marlon Sims (Farang Mu Sul-174lbs)
Sims via KO at 1:00 of R1 – a huge upset!