Full Contact Fighter Database







Tuesday, Apr 30, 2013

Rising Middleweight Elvis Mutapcic on WSOF Signing: “I’m Really Glad They’re Bringing in New And Hungry Guys”

Elvis Mutapcic celebrating his MFC championship win (photo via Maximum Fighting Championship)

By Kelsey Mowatt

Although World Series of Fighting maybe relying on former UFC employees like Jon Fitch and Andrei Arlovski to fill seats and draw ratings right now, the promotion has been adding promising talent that has yet to step in the Octagon. In other words, by signing fighters like Marlon Moraes, Tyrone Spong and more recently Elvis Mutapcic, the WSOF has taken steps to be more than just a destination for struggling competitors or well travelled vets.

“A little bit; I try not to get sucked up into the hype so much,” Mutapcic recently stated on FCF Radio, while discussing his recent signing and the fact he’s considered to be one of the top middleweight that hasn’t fought for the UFC. “I’ve read a little bit and definitely makes me feel good about myself. It shows me that all the hard work is paying off. I appreciate all the support from everybody.”

“I’m really glad they’re bringing in new and hungry guys,” Mutapcic added. “Like Rick Glenn and myself. Guys who are coming up are a little hungrier and we’re willing to push a little harder than guys who have some wins there already. Some guys who have been fighting maybe take just one fight at a time; take a fight, get their paycheck and pay their bills, but guys like myself and Glenn, we want to make it to the top of the division.”

Mutapcic’s stock has risen throughout the MMA industry, particularly in the last year or so, due to his run with the Maximum Fighting Championship. While the Bosnian born, Iowa fighter knocked out Cezar Fereira in August, 2011, it was before the latter went on to win TUF Brasil.


Elvis Mutapcic pounding Jacen Flynn at MFC 34 (photo via Maximum Fighting)

During his time with the MFC, however, Mutapcic scored wins over other TUF vets like Joseph Henle and Sam Alvey, and also secured the promotion’s middleweight title. The bouts were televised nationally on AXS TV and left Mutapcic’s record at 13-2.

“I like staying active; I think you lose a bit of an edge and I don’t want to fight one fight at a time,” said Mutapcic, when asked why he decided to sign with the WSOF, rather than wait for a call from the UFC. “It’s really hard to put fights together when you’re taking one fight at a time. You never know when your next fight is going to be.”

Although Mutapcic elected to sign with WSOF and exit from the MFC, the 26 year-old-fighter says his time with the Canadian based promotion played a role in securing the deal.

“MFC did help me out a lot,” said Mutapcic. “If I said they didn’t I would be a hypocrite; I would be a liar. They did give me the opportunity to showcase my skills. With that being said, I feel like I’m growing as a fighter and I need to fight higher level guys. Of course I want to be a full time fighter shortly here; fight for a living rather than work a full time job . I wasn’t sure how much longer I could be a full time fighter and work a full time job; it’s very demanding on your body. World Series of Fighting offered me a deal I could not turn down.”

Mutapcic’s promotional debut has not been announced yet, due to the fact the fighter is getting married soon and will be heading to Europe for his honeymoon. The promotion’s next event takes place June 14th in Las Vegas, but Mutapcic has confirmed he will not be able to compete on the card.



posted by FCF Staff @ 12:56 pm
Have a comment about this story? Please share with us by filling out the fields below.

Comments are closed.