Full Contact Fighter Database







Monday, Dec 10, 2012

Ryan Ford Grateful to Bellator for Broadcast Exposure, “But You Can’t Waste What I Do And Not Put It On TV”

Ford (photo via Bellator.com)

Welterweight Not Optimistic About Competing in Next Tournament

By Kelsey Mowatt

Welterweight Ryan Ford has done his best in demonstrating to Bellator and its international audience, thus far, as to why the Edmonton resident carries the nickname “The Real Deal.” Since joining the promotion earlier this year the Tristar fighter has scored wins over 50 fight plus vet Luis Santos and most recently Kyle Baker. Despite his performances and growing status, however, Ford doesn’t believe he’ll be competing in Bellator’s next welterweight tourney.

“I’ve been eligible for both of the tournaments but unfortunately we’re waiting for the government to stamp the paper and say that I’m allowed to go,” said the 30 year-old Ford, who was sentenced to a prison term approximately ten years ago. “Everything’s in process and we’re ready to go…that’s pretty much where we are right now; waiting for that rubber stamp to maybe get in the tournament.”

While Ford says progress is being made, in terms of securing fights outside the Canadian borders, Bellator’s next welterweight tourney is expected to be a foundational part of the promotion’s transition to SPIKE in early 2013.

“As of right now it’s not looking good in terms of getting into the tournament; I believe it starts January 10th,” Ford (19-4) relayed to Full Contact Fighter. “So, it’s cutting it close. Like I said, everything happens for a reason. Ever since I moved to Tristar I’ve been able to train and get better, where as before, the fights that I was doing, I was never at a camp like Tristar.”

“Timing is everything, so maybe it’s not my time to enter this tournament, so maybe the next one…they’re saying that this should be done by mid January, end of January, so I’m keeping my fingers crossed for that.” Ford added.

Ryan Ford (left) attacking Kyle Baker (photo via Bellator)

Although Ford has yet to compete in a Bellator tourney, the promotion has given him spots on two cards in Rama, Ontario, and both of his fights have been televised.

“They’re putting me on TV, but you can’t waste what I do and not put it on TV,” said Ford, who stopped Santos with knee and follow up punches in his Bellator debut. “I don’t want to be cocky or anything, but I’m sure that their ratings have gone up since I’ve been on TV and fighting for them. I go in there and lay it all on the line when I step into the cage. You know you’re never going to see a boring fight.”

“I’ve heard that they’re supposed to be four shows set in Canada for next year,” Ford added, “So, if that waiver, if the government isn’t stamping it for some reason, I can at least look forward to competing on those four shows up here.”

More recently, Ford worked his way to a unanimous decision win over Baker on November 2nd, which marked just his second victory that came via the judge’s scorecards. While Ford admits that he was hoping to record another finish, the three round bout provided more examples of his evolution as a fighter.

“My striking was always there but I was always going to my comfortable base, which is wrestling and putting guys on there back,” said Ford, who has gone 8-2 in his last 10 fights. “Being over at Tristar, with all those guys over there and that high of a level, it’s given me even that much more confidence when I step into the cage…my skills are getting that much better every time I go to Tristar.”

“They switched the fight with me and Kyle Baker a week before the fight, but I said with that training camp, going into that fight, they could have switched it the day of the weigh-ins,” Ford furthered. “I wouldn’t have cared. I was ready to do my thing.”


posted by FCF Staff @ 10:22 am
Have a comment about this story? Please share with us by filling out the fields below.

Comments are closed.