UFC 131 Press Conference Highlights
By FCF Staff
Vancouver’s Jack Poole Plaza hosted the pre-fight press conference today for this Saturday’s UFC 131 event, which will be hosted by the city’s Rogers Arena. The card will be headlined by a bout between heavyweight contenders Junior dos Santos and Shane Carwin.
Here were some of the highlights:
UFC President Dana White is not concerned about the fact that Saturday’s event is not sold out yet, which is in stark contrast to the quick sell out that occurred for the promotion’s Vancouver debut last year. White insisted that the UFC will return to the Olympic City once again.
White said they’re “working on” the promotion’s first event in China, after opening an office in Beijing recently.
Kenny Florian said moving his camp to the renowned Tri Star Gym in Montreal, home of welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre and trainer Firas Zahabi, is one of “the best decisions” he’s made.
Shane Carwin conceded that Junior dos Santos has “great boxing” and is one of the world’s top heavyweights.
White would not confirm recent reports that the UFC is looking to acquire a controlling interest in Comcast’s G4 cable network, before admitting that they are “talking to everyone” as the promotion’s current broadcasting deal with Spike winds down.
Dos Santos says he is still happy that he decided to fight at UFC 131 rather than wait for current champion Cain Velasquez to recover from shoulder surgery.
White was quick to compliment Yves Edwards when asked if he’s glad that the lightweight veteran is back in the UFC, adding that he expects the Edwards, Sam Stout fight to be a “war.”
Diego Nunes said Saturday’s bout with Florian “is a dream come true,” before White added that if Nunes indeed beats Florian it will be a “life changing” fight.
White acknowledged that the UFC has plans to promote an event in Sweden, saying that they had hoped to have a card there “soon.”
When asked if the winner of Strikeforce’s Heavyweight Grand-Prix could wind up facing one of the UFC’s top ranked heavyweights , White said he had “no clue” if such a cross promotional match-up is possible at this juncture.
Carwin said he wishes former champion Brock Lesnar all the best as he recovers from the recent surgery that was required to address another bout of diverticulitis.
Florian said his weight cut to 145lbs. has been going “smoothly” and has been easier than he originally anticipated.
Nunes stated he would be willing to fight his friend and current featherweight champion Jose Aldo, if the opportunity arises.