Full Contact Fighter Database







Tuesday, Oct 08, 2013

UFC’s Jason High Doesn’t “See Any Breaks in my Future”, Hoping to Fight One More Time in 2013

High punching Quinn Mulhern (photo via Strikeforce)

By Kelsey Mowatt

Jason High may have recorded his first Octagon win at UFC FN 27 recently, and has fought two times now in four months, but the veteran welterweight is eager to get back into the cage soon. After all, due to the limited schedule Strikeforce promoted during it’s final months as a promotion, High threw down just once in 2012. As a result, it sounds like the “Kansas City Bandit” will be quick to his answer his phone throughout the coming weeks, in case the UFC comes calling.

“Oh yeah, I’m hoping to get in once before the end of the year for sure,” High relayed while appearing on a recent episode of Full Contact Fighter Radio. “I would definitely appreciate that.”

Although the promotion’s upcoming cards are quickly filling up, there are still a few remaining spots left to fill.

“I know it’s coming up short. I got two knocked down pretty quick but I’d definitely like one more,” added High, who quickly tapped out James Head with a first round, guillotine choke at UFC FN 27, after being submitted by Erick Silva in the opening round this past June.

In addition, since there are still nine events left in the UFC schedule, following this Wednesday’s UFC Fight Night 29 card in Brazil, a spot could also open up due to injury.

“Yeah, I stay training any way, that’s the best way to do it;I found for me” said High, when asked about the possibility of being tapped as short notice replacement, in the event another fighter gets injured. “So, I will be training.”

Jason High (photo via UFC.com)


In fact, after fighting just four times throughout 2011 and 2012, even if High gets booked for another fight right around the corner, don’t expect the experienced wrestler to announce he’s taking some time off.

“I don’t see any breaks in my future really until I retire,” said High, who went on a seven fight win streak after being released by the UFC in 2010, following a decision loss to Charlie Brenneman . “I’ll be 32 in like two weeks; I had almost the last year off so, unless I’m injured, I don’t really see a reason to take any breaks. Maybe a vacation for like a week.”

Although High (17-4) came up short against Silva, with his win over Head, he became the latest Strikeforce vet to show that they can hang with UFC competition.

“Yeah, absolutely, that was one of the things that when the UFC got Strikeforce, a lot of the people were saying ‘oh these Strikeforce guys are second rate’…” noted High, while discussing whether it pleases him to see himself and other Strikeforce vets record win in the Octagon. “There was a lot of good fighters in Strikeforce, obviously, and there’s still a lot of good fighters outside the UFC. For the main part now the UFC’s pretty much sponged up everybody.”

For more on High and his thoughts regarding his UFC FN 27 win, head here.


posted by FCF Staff @ 8:00 am
Have a comment about this story? Please share with us by filling out the fields below.

Comments are closed.