Full Contact Fighter Database







Monday, Aug 29, 2011

Undefeated John Makdessi Hoping for December Octagon Return

By Kelsey Mowatt

Rising lightweight John “The Bull” Makdessi is looking towards December as a possible date for his third UFC fight, as the noted striker informed FCF today that he’s recovering from the injury that forced him to withdraw from his scheduled bout with Paul Taylor earlier this month. Although Makdessi did not want to go into detail regarding the injury that prevented him from fighting on August 14th, the 9-0 lightweight did report that he’s back to training.

“It was an injury that has to do with my ligament,” said Makdessi. “It’s doing good. I’ve been doing a lot physical therapy and I’m getting back into the fighting game.  I’m trying to get a fight for December…my training right now is at about 60, 70%.”

Makdessi has not competed now since UFC 129 in April, when he knocked out Kyle Watson in memorable fashion with a third round, spinning backfist. In contrast to 2010, when Makdessi fought three times, it appears as though the Montreal fighter will only have a two fight campaign.

“My manager (Mitch Mayberger) is on the ball already about getting me a fight in December,” said Makdessi. “He’s spoke to the UFC and they’re trying to get me a fight.”

While Makdessi has no specific opponent in mind for his next bout, he concedes he would like to fight an experienced and well known fighter in his third Octagon appearance.

“Well Paul Taylor was someone who’s been with the UFC for a long time, so when I moved to the UFC my management team thought it would be good for me to fight guys like that next,” Makdessi noted.

“It sucks to get an injury; it was a little setback,” said Makdessi while discussing his disappointment regarding the cancellation of his bout with Taylor. “I’m just really fortunate to be fighting in the UFC and I just want to build my name and fight the best fighters out there, hopefully one day get a title shot.”

Of course, due to the fact Makdessi trains out of Montreal’s renowned Tristar facility, the 26 year-old fighter has spent considerable time around UFC Welterweight Champion Georges St. Pierre, who will face former Strikeforce champ Nick Diaz on October 29th.

“Physically Georges is more stronger, a more powerful fighter,” said Makdessi, when asked for his thoughts on his teammate’s upcoming title defense. “I see Georges taking him down and maybe winning the decision, or maybe even knocking him out. I don’t see how Nick Diaz can win unless maybe if he keeps it standing, but I don’t see how Georges is not able to take him down. Nick is not as strong as Georges and Georges is of course a great athlete.”

Yet another Tristar fighter who has been making waves lately is Rory MacDonald, who overwhelmed the veteran Mike Pyle at UFC 133 for the first round stoppage.

“Rory is a big boy and is very strong,” said Makdessi about the 22 year-old prospect. “He has his own style; I have many great fighters that train with me at Tristar and the unique thing about Tristar is that we all have our own unique and different styles. We all bring our different A games; the diversity at Tristar is what makes us such a great team.”




posted by FCF Staff @ 3:27 pm
Have a comment about this story? Please share with us by filling out the fields below.

Comments are closed.