Full Contact Fighter Database







Wednesday, Aug 25, 2010

Updated: Emelianenko Calls for Bout with Overeem Next

By  FCF Staff     Amidst recent speculation that a bout between Fedor Emelianenko and Antonio Silva is possibly in the works for Strikeforce, a post today on Mix Fight.ru, quotes Fedor stating he is hoping to fight Alistair Overeem next.
According to the report (which was translated by FCF via Google Translate), Emelianenko was quoted saying “I would like a rematch with (Fabricio) Werdum,” but due to the fact the Brazilian recently underwent elbow surgery, “This year, in November-December, I would prefer to meet in a cage with Alistair Overeem.”
After being submitted by Werdum in the first round of their June 26th bout, Emelianenko and his management immediately called for a rematch with the renowned jiu-jitsu practitioner, but Werdum’s aforementioned surgery will prevent that fight from occurring in 2010.
Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker has said that both Silva and the heavyweight champion Overeem are possible opponents for Fedor’s next bout, which will be the last on the former Pride champion’s current contract. While attending a M-1 Global event in Atlantic City earlier this month, Fedor was quoted saying at a press conference, that he hopes to resign with the promotion.
Update: In a press release sent out this afternoon by M-1 Global titled “We Want Overeem”, Emelianenko was quoted saying:
“This is an important match for me and something that I personally want to happen,” says Fedor. “There have been conversations about putting this match-up together in the past and now is the time to begin making this bout possible.”
The release also stated that “roadblocks”, which had been apparently hindering negotiations regarding an Overeem and Fedor bout, “seem to be disappearing.”
posted by Full Contact Fighter @ 3:20 pm
Have a comment about this story? Please share with us by filling out the fields below.

Comments are closed.