Report: Jon Jones Says he Didn’t Lie to NSAC While Discussing End of Nike Deal
By FCF Staff
Jon Jones has apologized to Nike for how he told the Nevada State Athletic Commission that his deal with the sporting goods giant ended, but the UFC champion says he didn’t lie to officials either.
Earlier this week, Jones made headlines, by announcing that Nike did not drop him because of his infamous brawl with Daniel Cormier in August. At Jones’ disciplinary hearing with the NSAC in September, the light-heavyweight said his sponsorship deal had been terminated after the brawl. In addition, Jones’ and his representative noted that because of this, the star had lost income.
On the call, however, Jones apologized to Nike for how he worded his statement. The fighter disclosed that he and the company had in fact agreed to end their partnership, before the brawl happened. The incident only prompted Nike to end the agreement sooner.
While speaking the media more recently, Jones was asked about his recent comments, and whether or not he lied to the NSAC at his disciplinary hearing. Here is some of what he had to say (quote via MMA Fighting.com):
“The fight sped up the process of my losing my Nike deal,” Jones said. “I had like thousands of dollars of credit left on my Nike account that I never got to spend. I had several months of monthly revenue money that I never got to receive … So I lost several thousand dollars because of that fight, so technically that fight was the reason for thousands of dollars being out of my bank that I couldn’t receive. So technically, there’s, they have nothing to come back on me for.”
Jones will battle Cormier on Saturday night at UFC 182, which will take place in Las Vegas, Nevada.