Report: Jose Aldo Says Max Holloway,UFC 208 Fight Isn’t Happening, Believes He’ll be Booked For Interim 155 Title Fight
By FCF Staff
Jose Aldo has likely caused a big time stir throughout the MMA world, as the UFC’s featherweight champ is reporting the promotion is trying to book him for an interim 155 title fight.
Since Max Holloway won the interim featherweight belt earlier this month, by stopping Anthony Pettis, it’s been widely held that he’ll face Aldo next. In fact, both men have relayed that the UFC was looking at booking the bout for UFC 208, February 11th. But, Holloway said he would need to meet with UFC officials before agreeing to the fight. “Blessed” is worried that Aldo will drop out due to injury, and that Holloway will have given up his holiday vacation with his family for nothing.
Aldo recently spoke with MMA Fighting, however, and the Brazilian star reported this when he was asked about fighting Holloway, February 11th:
No, the Brooklyn fight is not happening. I now expect and believe I will be fighting in early March. Either March 3 or March 4, I can’t remember. I believe they will soon announce an interim lightweight title fight with me. They’ve been trying to find me an opponent, and — surprise, surprise — at least one has already turned down the fight against me. I’m waiting to see who they will find.
Recently there’s been speculation that the UFC might look at booking a bout between Khabib Nurmagomedov and Tony Ferguson for an interim 155 title. But, more recently, Conor McGregor has said he never informed the UFC he was planning to take a 10 month break, as has been reported. McGregor and his girlfriend Dee Devlin are expecting their first child in 2017.