Full Contact Fighter Database

Home

>

News

>

Article

Media

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2014

Report: Nate Diaz Talks UFC Contract Dispute, Says he was “Underappreciated” and “Underpaid”

Nate Diaz

By FCF Staff

Having been booked to fight Rafael dos Anjos at UFC on FOX 13, Nate Diaz has decided to discuss the highly publicized, contract dispute, which left him sidelined for months.

Recently the UFC announced that Diaz will fight dos Anjos on December 13th, after the lightweight had been critical of the UFC, and more specifically, his contract. The upcoming bout will mark the first time Diaz has fought since last November, when he stopped Gray Maynard in the opening round.

In the latest episode of Chael Sonnen’s podcast “You’re Welcome”, Diaz relayed that the dispute started before his 2012 fight with Benson Henderson. Diaz went on to lose that bout via unanimous decision.

While discussing the dispute, and Diaz’s contention that he wasn’t paid enough, here is some of what the fighter reportedly had to say (quotes via MMA Junkie.com):

“I feel like I’ve been taken advantage of for a lot of years with the whole situation,” Diaz said. “More so because I kind of grew up in this, and I didn’t understand or know what was what with money and contracts, and what was happening, until one morning I woke and for some reason I was like, ‘Hold up. I’ve been really underappreciated, underpaid, under-all-kinds-of-sh-t.’

“I wanted to try to get my situation fixed. I was trying to get a fight going on, but at the same time I didn’t want – it was a whole mess going on. But everything got cleared, up and I’m ready to get back to work and do my thing.”

UFC on FOX 13 will be hosted by the U.S. Airways Center in Phoenix, Arizona.

The card will also feature a heavyweight fight between Stipe Miocic and former champ, Junior dos Santos.

posted by FCF Staff @ 5:24 pm
Have a comment about this story? Please share with us by filling out the fields below.

Comments are closed.