UFC 180: Mark Hunt Will “be Back” After Stoppage Loss to Fabricio Werdum
By FCF Staff
At UFC 180 last night, for a while, it looked like Mark Hunt would become the promotion’s interim heavyweight champ, but Fabricio Werdum recovered from some heavy shots and finished the deal with a highlight reel, flying knee.
Although the defeat set back Hunt’s title shot run and remarkable comeback story, the 40 year-old fighter says he plans to continue fighting.
While speaking to FOX Sport 2 after Saturday’s headliner, the New Zealand fighter relayed (quote via FOX Sports press release):
“I’ll be back. I’m still one of the best fighters in the world. I might have lost tonight and I’m one of the older guys, but I’m still keeping up.”
Hunt stepped in on short notice to face Werdum, who had been scheduled to fight champion Cain Velasquez on November 15th. The latter went down with a knee injury a few weeks ago, however, and the UFC called the punishing striker.
“I feel like I was knocked out. My gas was starting to get to me,” said Hunt, while discussing how he felt after the loss. “It was a good trick. He caught me. I got caught. I got a knee in my face. Congratulations to you Fabricio. In this division, if you get caught, you get caught.”
With the defeat, Hunt’s record fell to 10-9-1. The heavyweight is 2-2-1 now in his last 5 fights.
UFC 180 was hosted by the Mexico City Arena in Mexico City.