UFC 238: Donald Cerrone Says Conor McGregor “Had His Shot”, Wants to Lock-up Title Fight
By FCF Staff
After failing to secure a bout with Conor McGregor this summer, Donald Cerrone is focused on earning a title shot at UFC 238.
For some time, Cerrone campaigned for a fight with McGregor, and there was speculation that the contest might happen. But, ultimately, no deal materialized and Cerrone faced Al Iaquinta last month at UFC Ottawa.
After defeating the contender by decision, Cerrone has been booked to fight the former interim lightweight champ, Tony Ferguson on Saturday. The winner of that fight will have a strong case to face the winner of the September 7th bout between champion Khabib Nurmagomedov and interim champ, Dustin Poirier.
During fight week, Cerrone was asked whether he’s looking to face McGregor later this year, and “Cowboy” said this (quote via MMA Junkie):
“No (I’m going to go with the title),” Cerrone said. “Conor’s had his shot. Sit your ass down now. (I’ll) take the belt.”
Cerrone (36-11) returned to the lightweight division in January, after an extended stint at welterweight, and stopped Alex Hernandez.
UFC 238 will take place in Chicago, Illinois.