Full Contact Fighter Database

Home

>

News

>

Article

Media

Sunday, Apr 12, 2020

UFC’s Randy Costa Says Fighting During Coronavirus Pandemic Would be “Selfish And Irresponsible”

Randy Costa (photo via YouTube)

By FCF Staff

Randy Costa has already had one bout postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic. But it looks like the bantamweight won’t be signing up to compete at any UFC event in the shortterm future, if they happen.

Costa was scheduled to fight Martin Day at UFC Columbus last month. But, the March 28th card was one of several events that were postponed due to the pandemic. Since then, Dana White has insisted that the UFC will find a way to hold events and that fighters who were scheduled for bouts will be rebooked.

But, while talking to MMA Fighting recently, Costa reported he won’t be taking any fights under the current circumstances.

“No interest at all,” Costa said. “There’s a reason why the country is shut down right now. The risk isn’t worth the reward in my opinion.”

“… I can’t even have a real training camp, so I would be going into the fight handicapped. To fight, it would be selfish and irresponsible of me. I would hate to be the reason that my family got infected.”

“I have no interest in competing until things are back to normal-ish,” Costa stated. “If that means I have to wait until the fall, then so be it.

“If I were in a bad financial spot, my answer may be different. Thankfully, that’s not the case.”

Costa (5-1) made his UFC debut last April and was submitted by Brandon Davis. In October he returned to the win column, however, by stopping Boston Salmon.

Tags: ,

posted by FCF Staff @ 7:00 am
Have a comment about this story? Please share with us by filling out the fields below.

Comments are closed.