Dana White Claims Jon Jones Wants $30 Million For Francis Ngannou Fight, ‘Bones’ Responds
By FCF Staff
Jon Jones has repeatedly said he wants a pay raise, before he agrees to fight Francis Ngannou. But, the former light heavyweight champ is denying he wants $30 million for the contest, like Dana White recently claimed.
Since Ngannou won the heavyweight title last month, by knocking out Stipe Miocic, Jones has been campaigning for a title shot. But, ‘Bones’ has made it clear he’s not happy with what the UFC has offered to date for the fight.
“In his deal, he’s talking he wants $30 million guaranteed. The way that this works is, these guys all share in the pay-per-view. … He will share in the profits of the fight. That’s how it works. That’s how you run a business, and you don’t go broke.”
Since then, Jones tweeted out this response.
I never discussed wanting 30 million with you or Hunter
@danawhite just wondering where you heard that number? Is someone speaking with you on my behalf or…
I never discussed wanting 30 million with you or Hunter @danawhite just wondering where you heard that number? Is someone speaking with you on my behalf or…
— BONY (@JonnyBones) April 23, 2021
White also reportedly said, in the aforementioned interview, that Derrick Lewis “deserves” to fight Ngannou next. Lewis beat Ngannou via decision in 2018, in a fight that was widely criticized for its lack of action.
The 33-year-old Jones hasn’t fought since February, 2020, when he recorded a split decision win over Dominick Reyes.