Max Holloway Talks Rematch With Conor McGregor, Says Star’s “Still Retired”
By FCF Staff
Max Holloway says he’s more than willing to move up to lightweight to face Conor McGregor. But, the featherweight champ’s questioning whether the superstar’s even interested in facing tough competition anymore.
Holloway battled McGregor way back in 2013, and lost the encounter via decision. Since then, the Hawaiian fighter has won 12 in a row, which includes consecutive, stoppage wins over Jose Aldo.
Following the champion’s win over Aldo at UFC 218 on Saturday, Holloway appeared on “The MMA Hour”. While discussing the prospect of a second bout with McGregor, “Blessed” said this (quote via MMA Fighting):
“(UFC) asked me about the Conor fight at 155 when I was signing my new contract like I told you guys, but I heard he was trying to fight Paulie Malignaggi in MMA. … I don’t know what else you want me to say.”
“For him to bring me up is actually funny, “said Holloway, while referencing a recent social media post by McGregor, which alluded to his win over Holloway. “It’s surprising, it’s hilarious and we’ll see what happens. He’s still retired in my eyes. When he comes back and wants to fight a real MMA fighter let me know.
McGregor hasn’t fought in the Octagon since last November, when he stopped Eddie Alvarez to win the 155 title.