Paul Felder Announces Retirement: “It’s Time”
By FCF Staff
Paul Felder had talked about hanging up the gloves in the past. But, on Saturday’s broadcast for UFC Vegas 27, the lightweight contender announced he is retiring from fighting.
After Felder lost via split decision to Dan Hooker in February, 2020, the rugged fighter said it could be his last bout. But, Felder returned for a short-notice fight with Rafael dos Anjos in November, which he also lost via split decision.
During Saturday’s ESPN broadcast, however, the 37-year-old commentator reported the following (quotes via MMA Junkie).
“It’s been, really since February since I fought Dan Hooker in New Zealand. I got the fire back a little bit when I fought RDA on five days’ notice. I thought it was back and ever since then I’ve spent most of my days swimming, biking, enjoying commentary, and enjoying my time with my family.
“I feel like it’s gotten to a point where I don’t have that burning desire to fight up for many more years and become the champion. I always said if I don’t see that title picture in the next year or so in my future then I’d retire, and I’d do it for my friends and family and myself…
“I’m retiring officially from the sport of mixed martial arts and the UFC. I got as high as No. 6 in the world and got pretty close to fight for that belt. I fought some of the baddest dudes in this division, and I want to thank all of them. My apologies for holding up the division for all the guys below me and the young guns. I’m officially stepping down because it’s not right to hold up the division. I wish more people would do this. When it’s time, it’s time, and that’s it for me.”
Felder (17-6) joined the UFC back in 2014, and proceeded to go 9-6 with the organization.