“Rampage” Jackson’s Camp Releases Follow up Statement Regarding Move From Bellator to UFC
By FCF Staff
“Rampage” Jackson said he “terminated” his Bellator contract, after his UFC return was recently announced, and now the light-heavyweight star’s camp has released a statement expanding on why.
Following the announcement of Jackson’s new UFC deal, the former champ said he had terminated his deal with Bellator because it “wasn’t right.” The promotion’s president Scott Coker, however, has relayed that the fighter remains under contract with Bellator and that the company will look to enforce it.
Recently, the following statement was posted at RampageJackson.com, which presents the fighter’s case as to why he wanted out of Bellator.
“After five months of grueling negotiations and gray-area contract talks with Bellator MMA and parent-company Viacom, Quinton “Rampage” Jackson officially terminates his contract with the up-and-coming promotion citing multiple breaches since the removal of President and Founder Bjorn Rebney. Jackson exercises a clause in the agreement that allows for a 45-day window to satisfy any contract dispute. Bellator MMA, failing to fulfill the requests of Jackson, was put on notice, failed to respond and eventually notified that negotiations were officially terminated.
Jackson’s U.K.-based fight manager and Wolfslair Academy founder Anthony McGann confirms, late Saturday night, that “Rampage has indeed signed with the UFC.” Details of the deal have not been made public. Jackson was available for comment late Saturday night from his Laguna Hills, CA training center Rampage Family Fitness and provided the following: “I went to the UFC and we put a deal together that worked out for both of us. I’m excited to be here. The UFC had nothing to do with me leaving Bellator. I was done with Bellator when I made the final call and they still didn’t do what they had to do contractually. I wish those guys the best but I’m where I belong.”
Following his UFC exit last year, the 36 year-old Jackson went on to win three straight fights with Bellator. A specific date for Jackson’s Octagon return hasn’t been announced.