Report: Jose Aldo Releases Statement, Pictures of Champ’s Medical Exams
By FCF Staff
Since the news broke last week that Jose Aldo had injured his ribs, the UFC’s featherweight champ hadn’t spoken publicly about the situation, until today.
On Tuesday, it was announced that Aldo has withdrawn from his July 11th bout with Conor McGregor, after injuring his ribs while sparring. The UFC reported last week that physicians determined Aldo’s ribs were bruised. Since then, however, his coach Andre Pedeneiras has said other doctors concluded they are fractured.
As a result of Aldo’s withdrawal, Chad Mendes will fight McGregor for an interim title at UFC 189.
In a follow up report from Globo’s “Combate”, Aldo released an extensive statement about the recent developments, and here is some of what he had to say (comments translated by Google):
For three months, every day, I conducted three training periods. I invested my time and money, bringing training partners, both in the country and outside, to make the best camp of my life and be ready to defend, for the eighth time, my belt on 11 July. Unfortunately, I suffered a broken rib in training, which is proven by an official report…
The decision was taken in respect of fans and the UFC, who now consider me the best fighter pound-for-weight world. I could not fight without having 100% of my physical condition and with a broken rib that could worsen case suffered a blow on site…Money ends at some point, but the legacy of achievements will go down in history, and that’s what I value most…
With respect to my opponent, who told me to introduce myself to fight like a man, I can not say anything about a guy who imitates life in a character from the TV series (actor Travis Fimmel, the Vikings series). That’s who he really wanted to be, as it should be ashamed of who you are for real, so much that mimics the lines, way of being and tattoos that actor…
Brazilian Journalist, Ana Hissa, has also tweeted pictures of Aldo’s medical exams:
Aldo's exams pic.twitter.com/Y6mee0gtPZ
— Ana Hissa (@AnaHissa) July 2, 2015
UFC 189 will be hosted by the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada