UFC 199: Cole Miller Told Manager He’d be “Good to go Between 145 And 170”, Before Receiving Call to Fight June 4th
By Kelsey Mowatt
After being limited to just three bouts since 2013, not only was Cole Miller looking for a fight, he was down to compete in three different weight classes if need be…
Due to a rash of injuries, the 32 year-old Miller has spent a good portion of the last two years on the sidelines. In 2013, Miller remained healthy and fought three times. In 2014, however, the American Top Team fighter was limited to just one bout, and last year, Miller stepped into the Octagon twice.
So, when the UFC called Miller’s camp a few weeks ago, in search of a new opponent for BJ Penn, “Magrinho” jumped on the opportunity. Since then, however, Penn has been removed from UFC 199 as a result of violating USADA’s IV policies. Now, Miller will take on Alex Cacares at the June 4th card.
Recently Miller appeared on Full Contact Fighter Radio, and when asked how the initial bout with Penn came together, he said:
“I had called my manager Dan (Lambert) and had told him that I need to fight,” said Miller, whose last bout took place in December against Jim Alers, and was declared a no-contest, after he unable to continue due to an eye poke. “You can’t go six, seven, eight months and support a family on show money. I had that no-contest in my last fight unfortunately. I told him that three days or more notice, I’d be good to go between 145 and 170. So, let’s try to get me on something.”
“I guess it was on Wednesday or something, around noon he called me, and asked if I’d take the fight with BJ. I said yeah. I’ll take the fight.”
Miller (21-9) has been competing at featherweight in recent years, after electing to drop down from lightweight. When asked about his willingness to even compete at 170, the BJJ black belt stated:
“Yeah, I mean walk around 162, 160. So I’m certain that if I needed to be, I could be 170, 171. That wouldn’t be a problem.”
Caceres (11-8), who has competed at 135 in the past, is coming off a decision win over Masio Fullen in January. Prior to that “Bruce Leeroy” lost three straight.
UFC 199 will be hosted by the Forum in Inglewood, California.