UFC 202: Conor McGregor Says he Has a “Lot of Options”, “Some Might Not be This Sport”
By FCF Staff
Conor McGregor relayed after his win last night over Nate Diaz that he wants a third bout with the latter, but it looks like the Irish star isn’t planning for the trilogy next.
McGregor avenged his submission loss to Diaz in March at UFC 202 on Saturday, by working his way to a majority decision win. After the victory, McGregor said he wants to fight Diaz again, but at 155 pounds, rather than 170.
While speaking to the media backstage, McGregor was asked if he thinks the trilogy bout will come next. The featherweight champ responded by saying the following:
“Probably not. The belt situation is lingering. I’ve got to talk…I’m speaking to the new people now (new UFC owners). I’ve got to talk about what’s next. There’s a lot of options. Some might not be this sport. So, we’ll see.”
The comments will likely spark new rumors about a boxing match between McGregor and Floyd Mayweather. Earlier this summer the retired boxing champ said he wants to box McGregor, who in turn, has said he’s interested if the money is right.
Since McGregor is under contract with the UFC, however, the promotion would need to sign off on any match he took outside of the Octagon.
Dana White has said that McGregor must defend his 145 title against interim champ Jose Aldo, or vacate the title.