Dana White Says Wanderlei Silva’s Retirement Was Attempt at “Smoke Screen”
By FCF Staff
Wanderlei Silva announced he was retiring from fighting, several days before the fighter was banned for life by the Nevada Commission, and Dana White has commented on the legend’s decision.
Silva relayed his retirement in a video last week, and while doing so, the former PRIDE champ accused the UFC of mistreating its fighters. The 38 year-old also said that he’s lost the desire to compete because of the promotion’s actions.
Then, on Tuesday, the NSAC announced that it was banning Silva for life, since the fighter failed to take a random drug test earlier this year.
In a recent interview with UFC.com, here’s what White had to say about Silva and the NSAC’s disciplinary action.
“I think he was trying to put up a smoke screen. Look over here because he does it a few days before he’s about to go in front of the Nevada State Athletic Commission,” White said. “The guy ran from a drug test. … I’ve been saying it for a long time that he was going to get something serious.”
“I didn’t see a lifetime ban coming, but probably the worst thing you can do is run from a drug test. You can’t run from a drug test.”
White also argued that he’s never “disrespected” Silva, who retires from the sport having gone 35-12-1.
The Brazilian fighter hadn’t competed since March, 2013, when he KO’d Brian Stann.