Jose Aldo Reports “Great Conversation” With UFC, But Doesn’t See Return to Octagon
By FCF Staff
Although Jose Aldo’s reporting he had a “great conversation” with UFC officials, the interim featherweight champ says he still wants to close out his run with the promotion.
Following the UFC’s decision to have Conor McGregor challenge lightweight champ Eddie Alvarez at UFC 205, but not strip him of the 145 title, Aldo has called for his release. In addition, Aldo has said he wouldn’t return to the Octagon for a rematch with McGregor, and that he has no interest in fighting for another organization.
The Brazilian star flew to Las Vegas to meet with UFC officials, including presidenet Dana Whit. Following a meeting on Tuesday, Aldo had this to say about how their talk went (quote via MMA Junkie.com):
“It was a great conversation,” Aldo said. “I can only thank the UFC for all they’ve done for me and Dana for the patience.”
“I always had my mind made up. When I said something, it was never a bluff. I have an idea in my head and it’s what I always wanted. So … it’s what we talked about. There was no offer, nothing to think. I just gave my point of view. The esteem that I have for them and that they have for me is cool, but I think we need to go our own ways.”
Aldo was knocked out by McGregor last December, which marked the first time in ten years that he had been defeated. In July, Aldo decisioned Frankie Edgar to become the interim featherweight champion.