Full Contact Fighter Database







Sunday, Jul 06, 2014

UFC 175: Chris Weidman Says Bout With Vitor Belfort “Sounds Good”, But Planning Break

Weidman (photo via UFC.com / ZUFFA)

By FCF Staff

Now that Chris Weidman has defeated Lyoto Machida, the UFC middleweight champ appears to have his sites set on who he was initially supposed to fight next, Vitor Belfort.

After his victory at UFC 175 Saturday night, here is what Weidman had to say to FOX Sports 1, when asked about who he should face next (quote via press release):

“Vitor Belfort, if he passes his drug test, that sounds good.”

Belfort was scheduled to face Weidman at UFC 173 on May 24th, but after he tested positive for elevated levels of testosterone, the Nevada State Athletic Commission banned TRT use soon after.

The punishing striker was eventually rebooked to fight Chael Sonnen at UFC 175, however, the latter failed two pre-fight drug tests and has since retired. Belfort is not currently licensed to compete in Nevada.

Regardless of whether Belfort gets tapped to face Weidman next, the champion relayed that he doesn’t plan on fighting again anytime soon.

“This was the worst camp of my life. I couldn’t hit pads for two weeks and my hand was messed up,” Weidman told FOX Sports 1. “My knees need a break. I think I rushed it a little after the surgery. It was a tough camp to get through.”

Weidman, who hadn’t fought since December heading into UFC 175, underwent two knee surgeries earlier this year.


posted by FCF Staff @ 1:59 pm
Have a comment about this story? Please share with us by filling out the fields below.

Comments are closed.