(Updated) WSOF 14: Ryan Ford Video Says he Fought Jake Shields With Broken Arm, “I Have no Choice But to Fight”
By FCF Staff
Not long after Jake Shields tapped out Ryan Ford in last night’s headliner for WSOF 14, the latter’s camp has released a video which says the welterweight went into the bout with a broken arm.
In the video, Ford says he broke his right arm on September 30th after a sparring session. The break is just above where Ford incurred a similar injury after he decisioned Mike Hill in July, 2013.
After outlining the injury, the 32 year-old Ford proceeds to explain he couldn’t drop out of the fight, due to financial needs.
“Part of this game is putting your body through hard work, and unfortunately, two days ago, on Tuesday, at the end of sparring, I broke my arm,” Ford said in the video, which was apparently recorded earlier in the month. “I found that out yesterday after seeing my doctor for the x-ray results. Yeah, I have a broken ulnar bone…I don’t have a choice but to fight. It’s funny, I have the toughest challenge ahead of me, October 11th against Jake Shields, and now I get thrown another challenge, fighting him with a broken arm.”
“We’re not in a sport where insurance is available where you get injured, nine days, ten days out from a fight and you get paid. Don’t work like that. You step into the cage, you get paid,” the Tristar fighter furthered. “This is how I feed my wife, my two kids, I put a roof over there head, so the only option I have is to step into that cage, put on a hell of a fight, and get paid. Broken arm or not.”
Ford was submitted by Shields with a first round, rear-naked-choke, which ended the fighter’s six fight win streak. Shields was making his WSO debut, after he was released by the UFC earlier this year, following a decision loss to Hector Lombard.
(Update: the video, which was originally posted on Vimeo, is no longer available to the public)