Leon Edwards Calls For Title Shot, Despite no Contest Result
By FCF Staff
Although Leon Edwards was unable to record a highlight reel victory at UFC Vegas 21, and extend his winning streak to 9, the welterweight believes a title fight should be next.
Due to the run Edwards had been on, and because he’s ranked #3, talk leading up to Saturday’s bout was that ‘Rocky’ could secure a title shot. Edwards rocked Belal Muhammad with a first-round, head kick. But the fight was declared a no-contest, when Muhammad incurred a vicious eye poke in round two.
After the bout, Edwards made his case for a shot at the welterweight title (quotes via MMA Junkie).
“I believe a title shot should be next,” Edwards said. “I’ve rebuilt myself back up since last competing against (Kamaru) Usman. I was on an eight-fight winning streak. Tonight was going to be nine. The writing was on the wall. I was winning the fight, clearly. I believe I should be next at the title shot. I’ve built myself back up. That’s what should be next, I think.”
After the champion Usman stopped Gilbert Burns last month, he called for a rematch with Jorge Masvidal. Edwards also reported, however, that if that happens, he doesn’t want to wait on the sidelines to face the winner.
“I’m probably not going to wait that long,” Edwards said. “If they fight in September, I won’t fight until the end of the year (or) next year. I like to be active. I’m 29 years old. It’s been a long time off. I’ll speak to the UFC Monday, Tuesday and see what’s next.”
Edwards faced Usman in 2015 and lost via unanimous decision, With the no-contest ruling on Saturday, the welterweight’s record now stands at 18-3, 1 NC.